Being a private chef and culinary nutritionist allows me to be in the kitchen for 80% of my working week - with this much time, you definitely develop some kitchen hacks that can get you through some culinary emergencies! And trust they do happen!
Here are some of my favourites in no particular order:
1. Always cook your bacon in the oven. With cracked black pepper or cayenne or maple. Always taste better than pan and frees up your stove top. 375 until desired texture.
2. Eggs: Fresh eggs will sink in water. Toss the ones that float.
3. Avocados: Looking for a ripe ready avocado? In the market - remove the nubbin. If its bright green, its good to go. Brown - leave it there and grab another!
4. Top your boiling water with wooden spoon to prevent it from boiling over.
5. Squeeze citrus on an avocado to prevent it from turning brown. For Guacamole store with the pit until ready to serve. Or add some cold water - then drain when ready.
6. Wrap lemons and grapefruits in cheesecloth to avoid seeds from sneaking in.
7. Always cook gluten-free pasta at least 2-3 minutes under suggested time. Always test your pasta & salt the water after it boils.
8. Tasting garlicy foods - eat a small handful of parsley before your next meeting!
9. Tomatoes: Store at room temp with stem side face down, will slow down ripening process.
10. Want to trim calories but keep flavour - sub apple or pear sauce as your moisture. Yogurt works great too.
11. Knives: always work with a sharpened knife - more accidents happen due to dull knives than sharp.
12. Coconut oil: Use it for everything. In bathroom and kitchen.
13. Grate butter to soften it quicker.
14. Starches: use your leftover rice, quinoa & sweet potatoes as egg bowls, frittata base and omelet middles.
15. Herbs: Chop wilted herbs add olive oil. Freeze in ice cube trays then store into a freezer bag for easy herbed olive oil cubes!
Hope these make life a little easier.