Tuesday, August 25, 2015

The REAL reason why I went to school for Holistic Nutrition ***SOME IMAGES MAY BE DISTURBING

Lately I've been asked how I found my way into Nutrition.


I have two versions of MY story - Both of which are completely TRUE: I've always been obsessed & around food, travel & wellness thanks to my parents.  In & out of the food industry for 10+ years as a server, bartender, GM, events, food writer, caterer etc etc..  Left FASHION (model/stylist) and then went back to school....

The TRUEST version includes a part that I don't share with many & have kept it pretty secret until today.  Why am I sharing this now - Well after filling in a few people over the last year - the response seemed that its a story of MY healing, makes my path more open & vulnerable which could help others down the road OR inspire more people to turn to natural healing!

So here is the mini missing link..

A few years ago in the summer of 2010 I was unfortunately in a chemical explosion of sorts - for this purpose I'm not going to mention names or location for privacy & really has no purpose to the story. 

The explosion found its way into my path - burning my face, neck & arms from 1st degree to 3rd.  I was rushed to the hospital (in shock so I'm told) and had to have a chemical wash & infection prevention.  I remember none of this.  I woke up the next day not actually aware of what had happened the night before.  It was oh so painful and sore.  The doctors had me on a "cocktail" of prescription drugs for pain, infection, immune & more.  I was taking up to 10 pills per meal (which was soup because of my mouth being burned) & was covered in gauze - quit my job & was on house arrest for weeks... which ended up being months.

(<script>
  (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
  (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
  m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
  })(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

  ga('create', 'UA-78847608-1', 'auto');
  ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>)

This is roughly a week or two after it happened.  Not impressed as you can tell.



It sound weird but I was worried about my eyebrows growing back weird LOL.




Anyway...after weeks of healing and my skin finally feeling better - I had a reaction to what I believe to be one of the pills I was on.  My eyes we're swollen shut, skin covered in red/white bumps and mouth was swollen.  I went to the doctors and they simply said to take a anti-histamine (which I already had and had made things worse - I was allergic again!).  I explained that I had & they refused to offer any more advice and simply said "we don't what it is but will most likely clear up in 2-4 weeks, until then stay on all medications".  WTF!  Are you kidding me?  Deciding this was no longer working for me - I STORMED out (For those of you who know me - I have perfected my storming out!) of the doctors ranting that this was BS and completely unacceptable treatment/lazy ...


The next morning I bought a giant ALOE plant from my local market (at night because I wasn't allowed in daylight/sun for 1 year because of the new skin) & stopped taking ALL of the pills!

Starting to HEAL!


SAD face.





 
The beginning of the infection/rash. 

If you can believe it - within 4 days the rash was starting to clear up, my eyes we're open-ish, and was starting to feel hopeful again! 

THE POINT of this story: Natural & alternative healing (the aloe) opened my eyes about a new way of approaching health & wellness.  I had always believed in whole foods, wellness, natural skincare BUT now herbal medicine & healing was my new obsession.  I needed and wanted to learn MORE!  The next year - after properly healing - I enrolled at IHN - The Institute of Holistic Nutrition - wanting to LEARN and SHARE - and the rest as they say is history!

I hope this helps you in any way or at least opens your mind to alternatives to Modern Medicine...



Email me if you have any questions!  #askme 
Like my RachelBies Nutrition page on FB OR follow us on Instagram for Recipes, Wellness & Health Tips and more!

xoxo
rbn.

*This is not meant to take away from people living with disease, auto-immune etc - that we're in my class & field, merely my small story to inspire & help people choose more natural options rather then pharmaceuticals, processed foods, etc. 



No comments:

Post a Comment